MMO Development!

| 30 May 2007

As a lurker and sometimes-poster over on the FoH boards I happened upon a MMO development project they have going on. I am a bit excited, even though I am not really an official contributer right now. Why am I excited? Well because even if I don't end up contributing (I would like to), it kind of pointed me in the right direction to start working towards developing an MMO.

I hadn't done a whole lot of browsing on MMO development lately, unfortunately - so I wasn't aware there is basically a ready-to-go kit out there. You just add content (worlds/terrain/cities/etc, spells and skills, models and textures and so forth) and off you go. I need to do some more research, but picking up a paid license for the kit. It's apparently the Torque game engine, combined with some extra stuff and tools. I dabbled around in the default game world for a little bit - following the first in a series of tutorials. I got stuck a few times, as the tools seem to be a bit buggy - but I am looking forward to playing around more with the development kit.

Hopefully I can start contributing something to the FoH project soon - but I think it might have to wait until they finish this first test game. We shall see :)

0 comments: